The homestead exemption is a legal way designed to protect the value of the properties of residents from creditors, property taxes, and circumstances like the death of the homeowner spouse. Laws are found in states statutes or constitutional provisions and exist in many states in the United States.
Florida State law allows homeowners to claim up to a $50,000 Homestead Exemption on their primary residence.
- The first $25,000 of this exemption applies to all taxing authorities.
- The second $25,000 excludes School Board taxes and applies to properties with assessed values greater than $50,000.
Florida law provides additional property tax relief for residents who have served in the United States military.
A veteran who was honorably discharged from the armed forces and who sustained a "service-connected total and permanent disability" can qualify for exemption from all ad valorem taxes on his or her homesteaded property.
To qualify the veteran must
- Be a permanent resident of Florida on January 1 of the year that he or she is applying.
- Have a homestead exemption.
- Have been honorably discharged from the military.
- Have sustained a service-connected total and permanent disability.
A veteran applying for the first time must file a Homestead Exemption Application by March 1 and include a letter from the Veteran’s Administration (VA) certifying a Service Connected Total and Permanent disability, or a copy of his or her VA form 27-333 letter that would serve as certification of the disability.
The widow or widower of a service member whose death was the result of a service-connected disabling injury or who died while serving in the military, can also benefit from this exemption.
- List of all properties for sale in Doral
- Doral Isles Antigua
- Doral Isles Antilles
- Doral Isles Catalina
- Doral Isles Caribbean
- Doral Isles St. Croix
- Doral Isles Cayman
- Doral Isles Riviera
- Doral Isles Mediterranea
- Doral Isles Martinique
- Doral Isles Venetia
- Doral Isles St. Tropez
- Doral Isles Pacifica
- Doral Isles Barbados
- Doral Isles Captiva